top of page


1998-99 Chatham Junior Maroons


SPORT | Hockey
LEVEL | Junior “B”

Front Row: Oleg Romashko, Raphael Protopapas, Dave Halliwell, Nick Warriner, Dave Torrie (owner/coach/general manager), Brent Rumble (co-captain), Darryl Green (co-captain), Steve English (assistant coach), Simon Protopapas, Steve Hildenbrand, Steve Farrer, Scott Murray Middle Row: Dan Steveley (owner), JoAnne Torrie (owner / secretary), Jason Badder (assistant general manager), Kent Byrnes (assistant coach), Tim Bacik (goalie coach), Brandon Thorpe, Rob Pedersen, Trevor Jacobs, Ryan Brown, Jaren Eydt, Mike Walling, Dan Murrell, Dr. Jim Allen, Dr. Adrian Verburg, Dr. Mark Merritt, Roy Baldwick, Harold MacFarlane (executive) Back Row:  Mike Torrie (owner / executive), Larry Keenan (executive), Jim Rauth (scout), Marty Mudge (bus driver), Bryan Campbell, Scott O’Connor, Ryan Gillett, Tony Williams, Kevin McKay, Gareth Hopes, Kyle Trudell, Harold Gow (equipment manager), Brian Bennett (trainer), Fred MacPherson (athletic therapist), Jeff Gow (dressing room attendant)  Absent: Lucy Torrie (owner)

In 1996 the Torrie family purchased the Junior Maroons after the team had suffered through a 6-win season. Their goal was to rebuild the once proud team and turn it into a championship team. In 2 years the Jr. Maroons won the Western Jr. “B” Championship and the following year they won the Sutherland Cup, emblematic of the Ontario Hockey Association Jr. “B” Championship. The Torrie family, headed by Coach and General Manager Dave Torrie, had achieved their goal.

The road to the Cup went through Petrolia, Leamington, St. Thomas, St. Catharines, and Stratford. In the league semi-finals, the Maroons overcame being down 3 games to none against Leamington by winning the last 4 games. After losing game 1 of the league finals to St. Thomas, the Maroons came back to win the next 4 games and claim their second straight Western Jr. B Championship. In the Sutherland Cup round-robin with St. Catharines and Stratford, Chatham again faced elimination when they fell behind 2 games to none but came back to win the next 2 games to go to the finals against the Stratford Cullitons. After splitting the first 6 games of the final series, Chatham captured their first ever Sutherland Cup with a 6-3 win in game 7 in Stratford.​

bottom of page